What is 5S?
The 5S program is part of lean manufacturing, which seeks to eliminate waste and enhance productivity. There are five steps to a successful 5S system:
- Sort –Discard unused items. The idea is to keep items used regularly close by.
- Shine – clean work equipment and areas. Cleaning serves to eliminate sources of contamination and helps to identify abnormalities before they lead to defects.
- Set in order- Organize the remaining items at your workstation. Clearly label everything and assign each item a spot.
- Standardize- Develop scheduled and checklists to ensure procedures are followed. This step helps ensure cleanup and organizational procedures continue on a regular basis.
- Sustain – Management helps to ensure all 5S items are being followed and workers are on schedule.
Get started on 5S training today using a variety of items from Seton. Our 5S products help you either get started on your own 5S program, or enhance your current system.