Pipe markers and valve tags help identify hazardous materials
The Pipe Markers Most Specified by Engineers
For over 60 years, Seton has been the most trusted source for pipe markers, and our pipe markers have been specified into more projects compared to any other company. We carry a wide variety of pipe marking products tailored for your specific project, and many of our pipe markers are fully compliant with current ANSI standards.
These digital resources are available for Pipe Markers and Valve Tags:
|Regulations & Standards||Product Specifications||Data Sheet Submittals||Contractor Services||Pipe Marker Buying Guide||Valve Tags
|How To Videos|
ANSI/ASME Standard for Pipe Identification
The ANSI/ASME Standard A13.1-2015 for pipe identification is a widely used guideline in determining pipe identification requirements. Its purpose is to “assist in identification of hazardous materials conveyed in piping systems and their hazards when released into the environment.” Pipes are defined as “conduits for the transport of gasses, liquids, semi-liquids or fine particulate dust.”
Pipe markers are used to indicate both pipe contents and direction of flow. Arrows at one or both ends indicate flow of the contents and meet the ANSI/ASME standard color scheme.
Seton’s pipe marking products meet ANSI/ASME A13.1-2015 size recommendations, color recommendations and the visibility standard.
The ANSI/ASME standard also recommends the appropriate letter heights and length of color field for different sized pipes and outside diameters.
Unmarked pipes are dangerous to both life and property. Numerous injuries have occurred as a result of the ignorance of pipe contents — especially hazardous contents — when outside agencies are called in under emergency conditions.
Markers should be readily visible to plant personnel from the point of normal approach. Seton pipe markers instantly tell you everything you need to know about pipe contents, direction of flow and whether pipe contents are hazardous or safe.
Getting ASME Compliant Pipe Markers is Easy
- Choose Your Style: Select from pre-coiled snap-around markers (ideal for dirty or oily surfaces), easy peel-and-stick self-adhesive markers and durable high-performance markers, which are perfect for extreme environments and weather conditions.
- Choose the Right Size: Markers with different letter heights and lengths of color field are available in stock for various pipe diameters. When used properly with directional arrows as well as banding tape or Arrows-On-A-Roll™ Tape, markers meet or exceed the standard.
- Choose the Right Color: Seton pipe marking systems also include roll-form pipe markers and specialty pipe markers to meet ANSI/ASME Color Recommendations and the A13.1-2015 Standard for Visibility.
- Choose Your Wording: Over 150 stock legends are available, and if you can’t find what you need, we can customize markers to your exact wording.
- Determine Quantity Based on Proper Marker Placement: Markers shall be installed in pronounced areas that help make them noticeable to plant personnel from a normal viewpoint.
Pipes shall be marked…
- Adjacent to all valves and flanges
- At both sides of floor or wall penetrations
- Adjacent to all changes in directions
- Every 25’ to 50’ intervals on straight runs
Valve tags enable accurate and effective labeling of a facility’s machinery, products, parts and tools. Seton offers a variety of top-selling materials, like brass, aluminum and stainless steel. Valve tags made from other materials, such as anodized aluminum, plastic and Setonply®, are available in several colors, including black, blue, green, red, white and yellow.
If you can’t find what you need or have a very unique request, Seton’s custom valve tags are available and can feature valve numbers, location and pipe function.
View and download product specifications. Choose from our list of partners and click on the respective icon below to be redirected to a download page.